Here’s another quick recipe to keep you going this week!
Ingredients - 60g couscous - 1 tbsp olive oil - ½ small onion - ½ aubergine - ½ tin of chopped tomatoes - Pinch of Paprika - Pinch of chilli flakes - Pinch of Turmeric - 1 large tomato - Handful of Rocket - A couple of green olives - Hummus (optional)
1. Measure out 60 grams of couscous into a bowl and pour over boiling hot water until the couscous is just covered by around a centimeter or so. Lay a tea towel over the bowl and leave to cook until the water has disappeared and the couscous is nice and fluffy.
2. Finely chop half a red onion and half an aubergine.
3. Then pour 1 tbsp of olive oil into a large pan and place on a medium/high heat. Once the oil is hot, fry the aubergine first for 2-3 minutes and then put in the onion too. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Once the onions have begun to soften, crush one clove of garlic into the pan and stir in a pinch of turmeric, paprika and chilli flakes respectively. Continue to fry for about 2 minutes.
5. Then pour in half a can of chopped tomatoes. As the sauce begins to thicken, add some water to make sure the aubergine is covered and continuing to cook.
6. Once the onions have reduced and the aubergine chunks are lovely and soft, add in a couple of chopped olives and a fresh chopped tomato. Then pour in the cooked couscous into the max and mix well.
7. Finally, add a handful of rocket and a squeeze of lemon and give one last stir. Dish your couscous into a bowl with some hummus and feel free to add more chilli flakes!
Happy meat free Monday ❤️